About Student Housing at Reading University

Student Housing at Reading University: Finding somewhere to live while at Reading University

Make the most of your time at Reading University by knowing about your student housing options – and what your rights and obligations are, whether you’re in halls of residence or private accommodation.

Student Housing – The Essentials

Where you live while at Reading University is likely to have a major impact on your time there: the friends you make, the places you get to know, your grades, and your costs.

It can also be the first time you live away from home and deal with private landlords, or have to tackle issues such as deposits, bill-sharing and student housing management and safety.

Knowing where to look can help you find the place that’s right for you – and knowing your rights can stop you being ripped off.

At readinglettings.com we have over 20 years’ experience in student housing at Reading University. Most of our business is from word of mouth and students that rent their student housing from us normally use us again.

Getting to Know the Student Housing Areas

Although some students live at home, for many going to university or college is a chance to get to know somewhere different, often in a completely new town or city.
If you don’t know much about where you’re moving to, try to check it out before you arrive, either at an open day or by asking your student housing officer for information about the local area and travelling time to the campus. If you know someone already at Reading University or who studied there previously, ask them too. Fortunately at Reading University there aren’t really any bad or dodgy student areas.

Halls and Reading University Accommodation

Lots of first year students opt for halls because it’s a good way to meet other students and it’s convenient for day-to-day needs. It can ease you into living away from home, especially if catered but catered student accommodation offers less flexibility as you’re restricted to their meal times.

For information specifically about the Halls and University accommodation available from Reading University, please visit the relevant section from the Reading University website:

Private Sector University Student Housing Accommodation in Reading

Particularly in the second year, many students move into private student accommodation, often with groups of friends.

If you’re thinking of sharing, remember that most student houses have between three and six bedrooms. If your group is larger – with more people, it might be worth splitting the group to find somewhere suitable. We have student housing in Reading available from 2 bedrooms to 10 bedrooms. Most of our student housing is post codes RG1, RG2, RG5 and RG6.

Other options include a bedsit or flat of your own, or living as a lodger in your landlord’s house. We also have a good selection of rooms in student housing in Reading, convenient for Reading University.

Housing Offices

Reading University has student housing offices to talk you through your options and help you find somewhere to live. Many offices put together lists of landlords and available properties. Please see here:

Letting Agencies

Letting agencies such as readinglettings.com can help locate a suitable property for you to rent.

Remember that letting agencies can’t charge you for just conducting a search so didn’t get ripped off by dodgy agents, come to us and a company you can trust.

Know Your Rights with Private Student Housing at Reading University.

Once you find private student housing accommodation, before you move in, you’ll be asked to sign a tenancy agreement, and will probably have to provide a deposit.
You can see more information in respect of this on the gov.uk website, using the link below relating to ‘renting private student housing in Reading and other universities in the UK’.

Renting private student housing accommodation

Funding Your Student Housing at Reading University

All eligible full-time students can get help with rent and other living costs through a Maintenance Loan, and many will also qualify for a non-repayable Maintenance Grant.
Please see the relevant section of the gov.uk website to see if you might be eligible.
Finance for student house new full-time students

Think Safe!

If you are moving into new accommodation, whether a hall of residence or a private student housing, make sure the property is safe and free from hazards.
This includes ensuring that gas or electrical appliances are safe to use, that furniture meets fire safety standards, and that the property is free from major hazards. We confirm that all our properties meet these criteria and we always should you the relevant certificates on request.

More information on safety and security for students can be found on the Directgov website:
Safety and security for students

Don’t forget to contact readinglettings.com for all your student housing needs at Reading University.